How to Better Manage Physician Services in Hospice
Includes a Live Event on 10/16/2019 at 2:00 PM (EDT)
Expanding the role of the physician to increase patient satisfaction and ensure regulatory compliance
Lauren Templeton, D.O., HMDC (Moderator)
Dr. Lauren Templeton, a Physician Consultant with Weatherbee Resources since 2017, has over 8 years of physician experience with 4 years specializing in hospice and palliative medicine. Dr. Templeton began her career in internal medicine, but soon thereafter was drawn to end-of-life care due to its overall philosophy and her passion for ensuring a dignified death for her patients.
Dr. Templeton currently works in hospice as the medical director for a medium size not-for-profit hospice based in Texas. In this role, she assists with compliance, quality improvement and documentation review. She continues to participate in clinical care managing hospice patients in both the home care and inpatient setting.
Dr. Templeton also serves as associate medical director for the Palliative Care Department at a local medical center, as well as, serving on the ethics committee for the same facility.
Dr. Templeton’s mission is to help support hospices by educating on the role of the hospice medical director from a regulatory and clinical perspective. She continues a robust educational program within her own hospice program and is a speaker with the Texas New Mexico Hospice Organization. Dr. Templeton is an advocate of the hospice benefit and speaks to groups such as the Alzheimer’s Association about hospice care.
As a Physician Consultant with Weatherbee, Dr. Templeton assists hospice providers and physicians with:
· Orientation for new medical directors and team physicians.
· Education, coaching, and mentoring for hospice physicians.
· Consulting on complex issues (e.g., making appropriate coverage determinations; ethical issues; challenging pain and symptom management cases; admission, recertification, and level of care eligibility; etc.).
· Auditing physician and other clinical record documentation (e.g., thoroughness and appropriateness with regard to hospice eligibility; compliance with regulatory requirements; appropriateness with regard to coverage determinations; etc.).
· Re-tooling the interdisciplinary group meeting and related processes.
· Preparing physicians for Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) hearings.
· Providing expert witness testimony in ALJ hearings and other legal matters involving patient eligibility.
Dr. Templeton graduated from Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor of Arts and received her doctor of osteopathy from Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2009. She completed a residency in Internal Medicine and is board certified with the American College of Osteopathic Internists. She completed a fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at Texas Tech University and became board certified in hospice and palliative medicine in 2013.